Chief Operating Officer
Marine Drive Golf Club
Vancouver, British Columbia
About the Club
Marine Drive Golf Club (“MDGC” or the “Club”) is one of Canada’s most prestigious and historic private golf clubs. Situated in the heart of Vancouver and boasting a diverse membership of 1,300 resident and non-resident enthusiasts, MDGC prides itself on delivering an outstanding member experience with over 40,000 rounds in a typical 12-month season. Founded in 1922, MDGC combines the heritage of a top-rated golf course on the shores of the Fraser River with a stately clubhouse for member services, dining, and events.
The Club and course have been central to Canadian amateur golf for 100 years. MDGC’s Junior Development Program is widely recognized for the quality players it cultivates from its over 150 young players. The Club has produced multiple champions including Stan Leonard, Dick Zokol and Doug Roxburgh – and it has hosted numerous prestigious amateur events including the 2018 Canadian Women’s Amateur and the 1992 World Amateur.
For more information on Marine Drive Golf Club, visit www.marine-drive.com.
About the Role
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for the overall operations, fiscal integrity, leadership, and strategic planning for the Club. The COO is a strong, energetic leader who is customer service-focused and has experience working at a private club. The successful candidate will have interest in taking on new challenges while ensuring the smooth operations of the club year-round.
The successful candidate will:
- Oversee the complete operation of the Club
- Work closely with the Board to set the vision and strategic planning efforts, and develop annual priorities and business metrics.
- Establish strong relationships with staff, members, and other COO/GMs in the lower mainland
- Lead, coach and motivate the Senior Leadership Team and staff
- Successfully execute the strategic plan initiatives
- Ensure the success of all aspects of member/guest satisfaction, engagement, and safety
The Chief Operating Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and implement industry-leading operating policies, programs, procedures, and methods while directing the work and promoting the development of all department managers
- Monitor long and short-term financial objectives and reporting, including:
- Develop annual operating, cash, and capital budgets
- Monitor monthly budget and other financial information
- Approve invoices and other arrangements before inception or payment
- Prepare and deliver timely financial reports to the Board
- Remain current with industry trends and ensure the Club implements improvements, as required
- Champion the development of the Club’s strategic and annual tactical plans, consistent with its long-term strategic direction
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club, including health and safety protocols and processes
- Champion management philosophy that exemplifies the Club’s core values in making a healthy impact on the lives of members and the community. The Club’s values include: Passion for People, Strive for Excellence, Be Vulnerable, and Do Right.
- Develop and monitor basic human resource policies consistent with treating employees fairly and in compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Support direct reports by developing, defining, and managing goals and objectives, providing consistent feedback toward continuous improvement, and promoting personal development
The ideal candidate is a proven collaborator and relationship builder who possesses the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- A dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example
- Possess the ability to provide direction and expectations, performance feedback and recognition that inspires employees to enhance member experiences
- A self-starter with a results-oriented work style combined with excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- A confident, diplomatic, and competent “hands-on” professional who recognizes the importance of accountability
- Strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member approach while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit combined with a background in business management, including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management
- Promotes succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles
Qualifications and Experience
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline, e.g., Hospitality Management, Business Management, Golf Club Management
- A minimum of five (5) years of directly related experience as a senior leader in the golf industry; experience in the private club, hospitality and resort industries preferred provided the candidate has golf industry experience
- A Certified Club Manager designation (CCM) is preferred
- Experience reporting to a Board with a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club to success
Salary and Benefits
The successful applicant will receive an attractive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications along with a comprehensive health benefits plan and retirement savings matching program.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by January 15, 2023, at 5:00pm PST.
Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Marine Drive COO Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Marine Drive COO Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please direct all inquires to the Search Consultant at the contact information listed below.
Marine Drive Golf Club is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities throughout the recruitment process and, upon request, will work with qualified job applicants to provide suitable accommodation in a manner which considers applicants’ accessibility needs due to disability.
Lead Search Consultant:
Managing Director & Partner