Assistant General Manager
Shelton Vineyards, located in the heart of Yadkin Valley, is the largest family-owned vineyard in North Carolina and one of the largest vineyards on the East Coast. Founded in 1999 by brothers Charlie and Ed Shelton, Shelton Vineyards spans over 400 acres, including 200 dedicated to growing several varieties of vitis vinifera grapes. The estate and acreage surrounding the vineyards includes a 33,000 square foot winery building, the Harvest Grill, a walking path, picnic area and a Hampton Inn and Suites.
The Harvest Grill offers a bistro-style atmosphere with an intimate indoor dining area and enclosed patio for al fresco meals. Open Wednesday-Sunday and featuring a menu the chef has deemed “sophisticated comfort food”, the Harvest Grill has been awarded the Triple A three diamond rating for its food, service and decor.
Shelton Vineyards also serves brides and grooms year-round, providing the picture-perfect grounds to host the ceremony and reception along with the convenience of on-site accommodations at the Hampton Inn and Suites.
As stewards of the land, Shelton Vineyards is committed to sustainable farming practices and hand-on attention to its vineyards. Its care of the vineyards along with expert winemaking techniques has produced many award-winning wines over the past 25+ years.
Shelton Vineyards Companies
- Shelton Vineyards
- Harvest Grill
- Hampton Inn & Suites at Shelton Vineyards, and
- The Village Market at Shelton Vineyards
For more information about Shelton Vineyards, please visit www.sheltonvineyards.com.
The Assistant General Manager Position
Shelton Vineyards is entering an exciting period in its history with a continued growth in the number of visitors who enjoy and appreciate everything this award-winning vineyard and estate has to offer.
The existing management team is comprised of both long-tenured employees and recent hires. The Assistant General Manager (AGM) will have operational responsibility for all sales and execution events, functions and retreats as well as involvement in the entire food & beverage operation. He or she will be expected to be highly visible and engaging with the customers, team members and vendors. The AGM will work closely with the GM and Owners, providing innovative thought leadership as the organization continues to evaluate continued investments in facilities and employees.
Job Knowledge, Core Competencies and Expectations
- Food and beverage cost controls and operating procedures
- Menu design
- Marketing and promotions
- Wine, spirits and bar operations
- Point-of-sales systems
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Polished, professional appearance and presentation
- Stress and time management
- Hire, training and maintain a strong, motivated team
- Effective communicator at all levels
- Knowledge of, and ability to, perform required role during emergency situations
- Develop and monitor an operating budget for the department’s revenue outlets; take corrective action as necessary to help assure budgeted sales and cost goals are attained.
- Develop a capital budget for all necessary food and beverage equipment; recommend facility renovation needs.
- Ensure adequate cash and charging procedures are followed with documentation reported in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assist in recruitment, training, supervision and termination of food and beverage staff.
- Assure effective orientation and training in place for new staff and professional development activities for experienced staff are planned and implemented.
- Monitor employee records to minimize overtime and keep labor costs within budget.
- Assure that all standard operating procedures for revenue and cost control are in place and consistently followed.
- Help plan and execute external and internal marketing and sales promotion activities for the vineyard and events.
- Approve menu items, pricing, and menu designs for all events and catering.
- Establish quantity and quality output standards for personnel in all positions within the department.
- Research new products and evaluate respective cost/profit benefits.
- Monitor purchasing and receiving procedures to ensure proper quantity, quality and price for all purchases.
- Consult daily with the Executive Chef, Catering Director, Purchasing Agent and other administrators to help ensure guest satisfaction is at the highest level and lowest cost.
- Greet guests and oversee actual service on a routine, random basis.
- Establish, update and maintain all required standards and procedures in a written document.
- Address guest complaints and advise the General Manager of appropriate corrective actions taken.
- Approve all product invoices for submission to the Accounting Department.
- Monitor or manage physical inventory verification and provide updated information to
the Accounting Department.
- Responsible for the proper accounting and reconciliation of the point-of-sale and guest revenues.
- Maintain records of special events, guest counts, food covers and daily business volumes.
- Ensure an accurate reservation and event system is in place.
- Audit and approve weekly payroll for their scope of responsibility.
- Source all entertainment and prepare recap of annual layout for approval by the General Manager and Owners.
- Establish and maintain professional business relations with vendors.
- Work with Shelton’s Controller and/or Chief Financial Officer to identify and develop operating reports and for ongoing control of the department.
- Serve as manager-on-duty on a scheduled basis.
- Complete other appropriate assignments from the General Manager and Ownership.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership and management experience in the hospitality, hotel, resort and/or club environment.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or Associate Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business preferred.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required. The position is available immediately.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Shelton Vineyards offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter. The detailed cover letter should clearly outline your qualifications, why you would like to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why Shelton Vineyards and the Dobson, NC area will be beneficial to you, your family, your career, and the Vineyard, if selected. The resume and cover letter should be submitted by October 12, 2022.
These documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Shelton AGM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Shelton AGM Résumé”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All requested information, along with references, should be emailed to the address above.