ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER
THE MINIKAHDA CLUB
Located minutes from downtown Minneapolis, MN, The Minikahda Club is much more than a collection of amenities. The Club experience is focused on providing superior social and recreational experiences based on the values of family, fellowship, integrity, respect, and inclusiveness.
Founded in 1898, The Minikahda Club is the oldest country club west of the Mississippi and a premier club in the region. The City of Minneapolis has grown up around Minikahda. A group of young picnickers were so impressed by the spot they found atop a hill overlooking Lake Bde Maka Ska, they acquired the land and set out to form a club for social functions and golf. The name Minikahda comes from the Dakotah, a combination of two words meaning, “by the side of the water.” The Club logo, in fact, depicts a Native American shield, similar to the artifact framed in the Clubhouse.
The Minikahda Club is a year-round full-service club with a vast offering of social, dining and sport activities. The Club has approximately 1,275 members, comprised of approximately 475 families and a single class of membership. From a financial standpoint, the Club is debt-free, has a substantial reserve fund, a waiting list for membership and is well positioned for success.
The historic Donald Ross designed golf course has played host to a number of major events including the 1916 US Open, the 1927 US Amateur, the Walker Cup in 1957, the Women’s Amateur in 1988, the Curtis Cup in 1998, and the US Senior Amateur in 2017. The course is ranked among the best in the state by Golf Digest and was ranked #102 in Golfweek’s Top classic courses in 2020.
In 2018, the classic Ross designed golf course was re-grassed, and the golf shop was replaced with a new building that provides a year-round practice facility. A modernized pool snack bar and a new lakeside bar on the second floor of the Clubhouse was also added at the same time. Currently, the Club is in the process of developing a long-term strategic and facilities master plan.
Members enjoy a variety of racket sports including tennis and paddle tennis. The tennis and paddle tennis programs are designed to appeal to newcomers and seasoned players alike. A full calendar of clinics, mixers, and socials provides ample opportunities to meet new players and make new friends.
The pool is a very popular member amenity enjoyed by all from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Located on the edge of a hill with breathtaking views of Lake Bde Maka Ska and downtown Minneapolis, members enjoy swimming programs, relaxation and dining poolside.
At the heart of Minikahda is the beloved 60,000 square foot Clubhouse. The Club offers multiple dining rooms for every gathering, from the formal Dining Room and intimate patio overlooking Lake Bde Maka Ska, to a family friendly Grille as well as 1898, the newly added adult-only bar with beautiful views of the lake and downtown Minneapolis. Multiple outdoor terraces and a deck with spectacular views highlighted by incredible cuisine prepared by our culinary team are all part of why Minikahda members and guests consider The Minikahda Club one of the best places to dine in the Twin Cities. The Club also boasts a beautiful ballroom for significant life or member events. Indoors, outdoors, big or small, whatever the need, we are humbled and honored to serve our members and guests.
The Minikahda Club Overview:
- 1,275 Members (approximately 475 families)
- Initiation Fee: $75,000
- Annual Dues: $10,000
- $10.5M Gross Volume
- $5.5M Annual Dues
- $5.2M Gross Payroll
- $3.2M F&B Volume pre-COVID-19
- Peak Season: 300 Employees; Off-season: 120 Employees
- 13 Board Members
- Average age of members is 52
The Assistant General Manager Position
The Assistant General Manager is ultimately responsible for all clubhouse, food and beverage, aquatics, and facilities operations daily, including the general housekeeping over these areas. The Assistant General Manager is responsible for all aspects of the operation in the absence of the General Manager/COO and performs specific tasks as requested.
This managerial position works closely with, and reports directly to, the General Manager/COO, and provides quality leadership and contributes to the positive atmosphere of the Club and associated operations. He/she will also prepare annual department budgets in concert with the GM/COO.
The AGM will enhance the “club culture” and is responsible for the dissemination of hospitality, friendliness, and goodwill among members, guests and staff. His/her goal is always to help members and guests enjoy the facilities and events of the Club. In addition to building relationships with Club members, guests, and employees, he or she provides support to the respective committees and advisory groups as well. Being the “public face” of these operations with a hands-on approach and an understanding that full member and staff engagement is critical to success in this position.
The AGM consistently provides anticipatory hospitality along with superb dining and other food and beverage experiences for the Club’s membership and their guests. Alignment with the Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Director is very important to this position to ensure collaborative, innovative, harmonious relationships between front and back of house operations.
- Consistent sincere and significant engagement of members, highly visible to members and staff in the dining areas of the club is of the utmost importance. The AGM is ultimately responsible to ensure that all member dining and club events are well-conceived and executed along with all amenities.
- Provide quality leadership in a positive and upbeat manner for the members, guests and staff.
- Create and maintain a first-class service culture throughout the club campus and its amenities.
- Address and resolve all member and guest complaints and suggestions, general service, employee attitude, maintenance, and presentation of the clubhouse operations.
- Oversee the recruiting, hiring and development of clubhouse and various food service venue personnel.
- Oversee ongoing training programs complete with up-to-date training manuals to ensure exceptional service in all parts of the club’s operation.
- Provides for training and future development of all subordinate managers and supervisors subject to budget approval by the General Manager/COO. Instill the concept of being “team players” in all employees. Continue to coach, counsel, and evaluate departmental staff.
- Ensures that a positive spirit and healthy work environment exists throughout the club operations, one that is free of safety risks and all forms of employee harassment.
- Maintain an effective communication program where employees are treated in a fair, structured and consistent manner.
- Function as an administrative and communication link between departments in the club.
- Guarantee that all clubhouse employees are regularly trained and certified in areas that help guard the safety and well-being of our members, guests and other employees including, but not limited to responsible alcohol service, safe food handling, etc.
- Help to facilitate a team environment with morale, high ethical standards and efficient use of resources to position The Minikahda Club to be a preferred employer of choice in the community.
- Works jointly with the Controller and General Manager/COO to prepare the annual operating and capital budgets for all clubhouse and service operations, assists in managing and controlling the operations to attain the desired results.
- Monitors the budget each week/month and directs the taking of corrective action as necessary to assure that the budgeted goals are attained.
- Provides input to all clubhouse and service personnel regarding annual budgets, capital spending plans, fiscal controls and operational guidelines.
- Responsible for all labor cost payouts and maintains them within the constraints of the budget and through close coordination and with approval from the General Manager/COO and Controller.
- Monitors payroll records to control overtime and maintain labor costs within budgetary guidelines.
- Supervises the purchasing, receiving, safekeeping and disbursement of operating supplies and equipment to maximize quality and profitability.
- Displays very hands-on approach and leads the staff by example. Must be approachable to staff, members and guests.
- Assists the General Manager/COO in developing and implementing long-range (strategic) and annual (business) plans, operating reports, forecasts and budgets.
- Works with Human Resources to develop long term staffing needs for area of responsibility.
- Responsible for the hiring, discipline, termination and documentation of all clubhouse and service staff.
- Reviews all accidents, works with HR and Safety Committee in completing accidents reports and implementing improved procedures.
- Attends meetings of senior management and carries out directives because of these meetings and any other requests of the General Manager in a timely manner.
- Serves as an ad-hoc member of appropriate club committees and advisory groups.
- A warm personality, a sense of humor and the ability to work effectively with all levels of the internal staff and members.
- Works with Executive Chef, Food & Beverage Director and others to develop P&L statements prior to each event, makes appropriate notes following events and files information for future use.
- Works with Executive Chef on menu development.
- Works with the F&B Team to organize and market special club events.
- Furthers his/her own continued development as a club management professional as a member of CMAA. With the assistance and approval of the General Manager/COO participates in appropriate seminars/training programs, thereby enhancing his/her value and quality of services to The Minikahda Club.
- Understands and abides by The Minikahda Club policies and departmental procedures. Suggests changes and may direct the implementation of change.
- Provides content for and manages communications and marketing information for department.
- Assures that the Clubhouse operations and campus venues are run in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
- Disseminates information effectively and coordinates activities between departments on a timely basis.
- Keeps the General Manager/COO informed of all potential problems and activities related to the smooth operation of the clubhouse and other food service venues.
- Oversees inventory management throughout departments and completes a periodic china, glass and silver inventory to maintain par levels.
- Coordinates and approves all entertainment in consultation with General Manager/COO and others.
- A sharp eye for detail in the overall management of the operation.
- Responsible for regularly reporting of performance and financial data, i.e. weekly report to General Manager/COO.
Executive Chef, Food & Beverage Director, Catering Director, Member Engagement Director, Pool, Locker Room, Housekeeping and Valet Teams.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club environment.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) or in active pursuit of designation preferred.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required. The position is available immediately.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Wednesday, June 23, 2021.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Minikahda Club AGM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Minikahda Club AGM Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email résumé with references.
For more information about The Minikahda Club, please visit www.minikahdaclub.org.