Minneapolis Golf Club
St. Louis Park, Minnesota
Founded in 1916, Minneapolis Golf Club is a member-owned club located just seven miles west of downtown Minneapolis. The centerpiece of our Club is our Willie Park Jr./Donald Ross golf course, representing one of the finest tracks in the Upper Midwest. Our golf course provides an experience that has drawn the admiration of generations of golfers for its eminent playability, imaginative layout and supreme walkability.
The MGC golf experience also features a picturesque short game practice area, convenient driving range, indoor swing simulator, and perhaps most notably an inclusive, active and family-friendly membership who share a passion for golf and welcome players of all ages and abilities.
Beyond golf, MGC offers members, their guests and families a myriad of social activities along with indoor and alfresco dining options at the Grill and poolside and an Olympic-size pool and patio area that serves as the center of family sun in the summer.
Improvements & Future Plans
A comprehensive multi-million-dollar enhancement to the golf course, completed in 2020, replaced every blade of grass on our classic layout. The update added modern improvements, including new bent grass tees, fairways and greens, a state-of-the-art irrigation system, improved drainage systems on the greens, thicker rough, larger green complexes and inventive hole locations. This approach carefully balanced the original design integrity of the course with the evolving demands of modern players.
In 2021, the Club embarked on the development of a 5-Year Strategic Plan. This process involved a top-to-bottom examination of our market position, operations, membership structure, utilization, communications efforts and our finances to develop a set of strategic initiatives that serve as our guide to meet the needs of our existing members as well as those who will join us in the future.
Minneapolis Golf Club Overview
- 394 memberships (Golf: 310, Social: 73, Other [Honorary, Clergy]: 11)
- Initiation fee (Resident Member Golf: $25,000)
- Annual Dues (Golf: $9,749)
- $4.70M Gross volume
- $2.60M Annual dues
- $1.50M F&B volume
- $2.60M Gross payroll
- 135 Employees in-season; 50 off-season
- 9 Board members
- Average age of members is 52
The General Manager Position
Reports to the Board and coordinates with the President of the Board on a regular basis. The General Manager implements the policies established by the Board of Directors and the Club’s bylaws. He/she develops operational policies and is responsible for the creation and implementation of standard operating procedures for all areas. This includes the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets as well as management of operations to attain the desired results.
Coordinates all management functions and works in concert with committee chairs to assist them in the development of proposed policies, programs, events, etcetera.
Serves as the lead coordinator of programming and development of synergy among all departments. Overseeing the internal and external marketing strategies for membership growth and member engagement is a critical part of the position.
The General Manager should have a strong presence and seek to be highly visible to the membership and staff, setting the tone for consistently treating members with first class of hospitality. It is also the responsibility of the General Manager to communicate this expectation to the entire staff.
Important Individual Characteristics:
- A naturally enthusiastic personality and passion for the club management profession.
- A natural leadership style which promotes staff and membership engagement.
- Ability to act as a thought partner with the Board and committees.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Disciplined follow-through to ensure the vision and goals of the Club come to fruition.
- Ability to cultivate a high-level of member services and satisfaction.
- Possess a strong understanding of top-notch food and beverage experiences for Club members and guests.
- Effective fiscal management through delivery of actual operational and capital results in alignment with approved budgets.
- Maintain a high level of visibility to members and staff as the face of the Club.
- Understands the importance of digital communications, with the ability to utilize web and social media tools to communicate with the staff and membership.
- Ability to develop a dedicated team with a shared vision.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club environment. Current Assistant General Managers or Clubhouse Managers at well-recognized clubs, with verifiable records of achievement will also be considered.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation preferred or in pursuit of.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Wednesday, October 13, 2021.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Minneapolis Golf Club GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Minneapolis Golf Club GM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com. Please email résumé with references.
Lead Search Executive
GGA Partners, Inc.
For more information about the Club, visit www.minneapolisgolfclub.com