Director of Golf
Oakdale Golf & Country Club
Oakdale is a family-focused golf and country club providing high quality services and amenities to its members. Centrally located in the GTA, Oakdale has been a treasured part of members’ lives for nearly 100 years. Oakdale members enjoy a world-class 27 hole golf course complimented by a beautiful swimming pool, 6 har tru tennis courts, a fitness facility and a full service dining and lounge facility.
The Golf Facilities
Oakdale is divided into three nines—the Thompson and Homenuik, which make up the original 18 created by Stanley Thompson, and the Knudson, which was created in 1957 by Robbie Robinson. Golfers enjoy a stunning course that is equally challenging for both the recreational and scratch golfer. A comprehensive practice facility, golf simulators and well-stocked, full-service Pro Shop round out the Club’s facilities. The Club has hosted several professional and amateur championship, and was recently selected to host the 2023 and 2026 RBC Canadian Open.
Oakdale is seeking a well-qualified, dynamic individual to oversee and manage golf operations and work cooperatively with other departments to provide an exceptional member and guest experience.
The Director of Golf will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and deliver an outstanding member experience and service commensurate with member expectations and in keeping with a premier Tier 1 private golf and country club.
- Recruitment, training, development, performance management and leadership of golf operations staff (48 staff and five year-round staff).
- Working with the General Manager and Controller, preparation and oversight of all fiscal areas and performance for the golf operations including the capital and operating budgets, annual business plan, forecasting and monitoring.
- Work with the golf operations staff, club management team and various member committees, to develop and implement merchandising, programs, club tournaments, leagues, coaching and lesson programs and outside events.
- Oversight of the golf shop, which includes purchasing, merchandising, sales and marketing, inventory management, and financial performance.
- Oversight of the golf reservation system, three first hole starters, tracking and marshalling play on the golf course. Enforcing all rules and regulations governing golf course usage.
- The Director of Golf is engaged in new member recruitment and orientation as well as ensuring that the golf experience meets member expectations.
- Oversee the development of operating procedures and training manuals for the golf operation in conjunction with the Human Resources Manager.
- Coordinate plans with the Food and Beverage Manager for all on-course food and beverage, banquets, outside events, and catering for all golf functions.
- Foster and support equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) within the Club through adoption of best practices for an inclusive and equitable workplace.
- Develop and oversee an innovative tournament schedule and golf activities program that is appealing to all member demographics and skill levels, including children’s golf programs.
- Develop and oversee golf instruction, clinics, golf schools, and player development programs for all members. Ensuring that members from all demographics and golf skill levels are accommodated by the golf program.
- Play golf with members of all skill levels, demographics and genders as time and duties permit.
The Director of Golf reports to the General Manager. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic objectives of Oakdale, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- Class A member of the PGA of Canada with Director of Golf/Head Professional or comparable experience preferred.
- A dynamic leader with the ability to maintain a strong team by motivation and leading by example.
- Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes. Excellent communication skills.
- Highly visible leader with friendly and outgoing personality and focus on member service. A leadership style that lends itself to being the ‘face of the golf experience.’
- An out of the box thinker determined to be innovative in the modern world of golf operations.
- An ability to work collaboratively with the active volunteer base at the club to achieve results.
- An understanding of a private member-owned club culture.
- A demonstrated ability to manage all aspects of the golf retail business.
- Proficient instructor well-versed in the latest club fitting and teaching technologies.
- Ability to organize and oversee annual golf event fixtures and programs including participation in the internal marketing and administration of the events and programs.
- Strong administrator with excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to implement, enforce and maintain all policies, programs and plans as established and communicated through the General Manager.
- Ability to market, schedule and manage any external competitions and events.
- Provide support for prospective member sales, new member integration and membership retention programs.
- Maintain and promote a well-respected and professional image within the Club, the industry and community.
- A keen interest in continuous learning and professional development in the industry.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and related software such as Jonas, Golf Genius, etc.
- A self-starter and results oriented work style combined with excellent communication and interpersonal skills with all the Club’s stakeholders
The Club will offer an attractive year-round compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by January 3, 2022. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Oakdale Resume” and ‘Last Name, First Name, Oakdale Cover Letter”) respectively to:
Michael Gregory, Partner and George Pinches, Director, GGA Partners, Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on Oakdale Golf & Country Club please visit www.oakdalegolf.com.
Lead Search Executives