Hollyburn Country Club
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Hollyburn Country Club
Situated mountainside, overlooking downtown Vancouver, on 42 acres of West Vancouver’s renowned British Properties, sits Hollyburn Country Club (“Hollyburn” or “the Club”). Hollyburn’s facilities are unmatched and award winning. For members, the Club is a home away from home and a private hub for activity, sport, dining, entertainment, socialization and business. A place that brings a unique sense of belonging. Established in 1960, the Club has over 7600 members.
Hollyburn is committed to being a private country club that meets the needs of members of all ages. We deliver exceptional member experiences by continuously improving our services, facilities and programming. In pursuing our vision, we will ensure that Hollyburn is a premier athletic facility that provides exceptional recreational, competitive and social opportunities in a safe, respectful, friendly and family-oriented environment.
First and foremost, Hollyburn Country Club is a sports club, offering 25 tennis courts offering all 3 tennis surfaces, 7 squash courts, 2 swimming pools, state of the art fitness facilities, 2 ice sheets, 7 badminton courts, indoor and outdoor pickleball courts, a wellness centre including physiotherapy, massage therapy and esthetics, child minding and preschool programming, and more. Hollyburn caters to the modern family and its demanding lifestyle. Members enjoy a full array of recreational and fitness programming for every member of the family. Hollyburn’s athletic programs cater to all ages and levels and are led by highly-qualified coaches. Hollyburn’s bar, grill and dining room are hubs of social activity.
To learn more about Hollyburn, visit www.hollyburn.org.
The General Manager (GM) is the senior management position reporting directly to the Board of Directors through the Chair of the Board (President) of Hollyburn Country Club. The GM is responsible for developing and communicating a shared vision, building the strategy, as well as managing membership and operations and infrastructure to ensure the long-term sustainability and financial success of the Club.
Hollyburn Country Club is seeking a GM who is dedicated to being the best and is willing to deliver exceptional member recreational, competitive and social opportunities in a safe, respectful, friendly and family-oriented environment to a diverse membership.
The GM will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and deliver a consistently outstanding member experience commensurate with specified member expectations and in keeping with a premier private club.
- Embody the Club’s core values: be energized at all times; display a Service-First attitude; and maintain excellence in daily interactions with Club members, guests, and staff.
- Manage all aspects of the Club’s activities to ensure and maintain the highest standards and quality of activities and service provided by the Club to ensure a high level of member satisfaction.
- Oversee the development and successful implementation of all marketing and member relations programs to both attract new members and foster positive relations with existing members and their guests. Responsible for initiating membership research and keeping current on all social, demographic, and corporate trends that impact the Club’s ability to meet its objectives.
- Ensure all new Club members are “met” and properly oriented to the Club. It is important for the GM to be visible and accessible to members.
- Develop and implement best-in-class and industry leading operating policies, programs, procedures and methods while directing the work and promoting the development of all department managers.
- Monitor long and short-term financial objectives and reporting. In consultation with the Board, Finance Committee and Chief Financial Officer (CFO), prepare and execute the financial plan for the Club.
- Monitor and stay current with industry trends and ensure Hollyburn implements improvements as required.
- Act as a catalyst in the development of a Strategic Plan that charts the future course of the Club. The plan will be updated on an annual basis and will act as the framework in which the Club is operated. The achievement of the key objectives in the plan will be the primary responsibility of the GM.
- Develop and implement an Annual Business Plan in the context of the Strategic Plan. Regularly update the Board on progress relative to both the Strategic and Annual Business Plans.
- In conjunction with the Board, establish an annual list of performance objectives and means of performance measurement for the General Manager and their Direct Reports in the context of the Club’s Strategic and Annual Business Plans and Budgets.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club.
- Maintain and develop a management philosophy that recognizes Hollyburn’s employees are a key part of the foundation of the Club’s success in delivering a great membership experience and competitive advantage. Actively promote a positive work environment where teamwork is emphasized in a safe, motivating work environment.
- Develop and monitor Human Resource policies consistent with the Board’s desire to treat employees fairly at all times and comply with all laws and regulations.
- Foster and support equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) within the Club through adoption of best practices for an inclusive and equitable workplace.
- Manage and clearly define Direct Reports’ goals and objectives. Provide consistent feedback towards continuous improvement, and ensure appropriate personal development occurs, while incorporating succession planning for all key leadership roles.
- Be visible and approachable to all employees.
- Provide quality and timely communication with the Chair of the Board, Board, employees and members. Working collaboratively with the Board, this position will take responsibility/ownership of all aspects of Club operations, and share in the Club’s overall success.
- Maintain a visible and outgoing presence and lines of communications in the Club with members and staff. Responsible for ensuring communications initiatives and appropriate marketing tools are developed to increase the visibility of the Club to current and potential members and groups that may use facilities.
- Maintain a high profile both inside and outside the Club among stakeholders, members, and the community.
- Ensure the Board has all the information and support necessary to exercise their governance responsibilities.
Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operations Officer, Chief Experience Officer (CXO), HR/EA Executive Assistant/Human Resources Manager, Director, IT & Accounting and Director of Engineering.
The General Manager will report to the Board of Directors through the Chair of the Board. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic and business objectives of Hollyburn, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- A trustworthy, dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example. Ability to provide direction and expectations, continuous performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes to enhance member experiences through inspiring department managers and employees. Exhibits leadership skills in team building, employee motivation and service training and is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Thorough understanding of and capacity to consistently deliver exceptional standards of service commensurate with a premium private club.
- Ability to set and maintain high standards for all facilities, services and communications.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds; embodies the characteristics of a successful GM through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, and dedication.
- A self-starter with a results-oriented work style combined with excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated with all the Club’s stakeholders.
- Confident and capable of clear and effective two-way communication with individuals and groups including stakeholder and public meetings.
- Demonstrates energy and a desire to interact with the membership.
- A confident, diplomatic, and competent professional who is a “doer” and a “take- charge” person who recognizes the importance of accountability.
- Strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member approach while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence.
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management.
- A strategic thinker with strong business acumen.
- Experience managing complex capital projects.
- Experience successfully leading hospitality operations in a club or similar setting.
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline is preferred.
Experience and Accreditation:
- Previous experience operating at a senior level in the customer service environment in one or more of the following sectors: a multi-sport, family club or other similar top tier multi-sport facility; hospitality; resort/recreational; or public sector where there is a wide range of services to a diverse customer base.
- Experience in the hospitality industry beneficial.
- Experience reporting to a Board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and GM to success.
- A Certified Club Manager designation (CCM) is preferred.
An interim leadership person has been appointed. However, the permanent Club leadership position will be filled as soon as Board decisions are made on the successful candidate for the permanent posting.
The Club provides an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience and track record, which will include a competitive base salary, performance incentives and other senior employee benefits.
Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, October 15, 2021.
Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Hollyburn Resume” and ‘Last Name, First Name, Hollyburn Cover Letter”) respectively to: email@example.com.
Lead Search Executives