The Toronto Hunt
Since opening its doors in 1843, The Toronto Hunt has been one of Canada’s most historic member clubs for nearly two centuries. The Club is located along Lake Ontario, a short distance from downtown Toronto and walking distance from the city’s Beaches community. The goal of The Toronto Hunt is to provide an exceptional member experience that includes superior golf, dining, and social events. Amenities at the Club include a nine-hole golf course perched on the bluffs overlooking the lake, as well as a historic clubhouse providing spectacular views of the lake. For those seeking a location for their wedding, the Club offers a ceremony area overlooking Lake Ontario, and a main dining area in the clubhouse that can accommodate up to 180 guests.
Golf Magazine has ranked The Toronto Hunt’s golf course as the 35th best nine-hole course in the world. Easily walked, the course can be played fairly quickly, and varying tee options provide variety for those looking to play multiple rounds. The course is also friendly to more recreational or social golfers, as the lack of forced carries and ideal land make it easy to spend an afternoon with friends. The Club’s dining, cuisine, and wine list have been equally praised and second-to-none.
We are recruiting an accomplished full time Controller to take charge of the Club’s accounting and finance functions. The Controller plays an integral role within The Toronto Hunt, in assisting with the management of the Club’s finances, budgets, and with the implementation of controls and systems that enable the operation to run smoothly, while being responsible for the general accounting and financial reporting of the Club. The Controller reports directly to the CEO/General Manager, and works closely with the Finance Committee, Board of Directors, and Senior Management team. The Controller will have several direct reports, including the Accounting/HR Coordinator (Payroll/Accounts Payables, HR), Administrative Assistant (Accounts Receivable and Health & Safety Coordinator), and Administrative Support (Part time receivables/payables). The Controller is a full-time position with a work schedule Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm., with certain job requirements/deadlines that may necessitate longer hours, including attendance at various routine Finance Committee/Board meetings.
The Controller will be responsible for the following:
- Financial Accounting – preparation of all journal entries, full accounting cycle including monthly financial statements (analysis/interpretation of those results), annual Operating and Capital Budgets, interim projections/forecasts, cash flow projections, reporting to monthly Finance Committee meetings and preparation of all minutes
- Compliance – remittance, in a timely manner, of all tax (source deductions, HST, EHT, WSIB, and income taxes), completion of regulatory filings and other reporting requirements
- Audit – preparation of all documentation required for the annual Audit, approval of draft financial statements for Board approval, preparation of annual Certificate of Compliance, attendance at Annual General Meeting
- Accounts Receivable – preparation of annual dues billings, posting all monthly or annual billings to accounts, as well as adjustments, entrance fee instalments, misc. club charges, preparation of timely monthly statements of account, assistance with responding to member account queries, following up with those in arrears adhering to the Member Account Collection policy, processing of monthly preauthorized payments
- Accounts Payable – review and approval of all invoices for timely payment, and ensure departmental approval and appropriate allocation of costs; oversee the payment of all invoices/taxes/source deductions, updating and maintain a weekly/monthly cash flow to ensure adequate funds are available
- Payroll – oversee the payroll administration of 120-150 staff at peak season
- Human Resources – Plan Administrator for the Group Insurance Plan and Group RSP, act as support for the HR Coordinator
- Membership – maintain membership files, all membership records and reports, provide all statistical data of membership changes, activity, status for the Membership Committee and the Board, prepare all new member invoices and account adjustments for membership changes in status
- IT – provide ongoing support for Club’s IT needs, assist with the maintenance and upgrades of Club’s equipment and software, ensure back up of all data, liaise with third party IT support
- Banking – act as signing officer for the Club, handle all banking documentation, responsible for the Club’s investments, cash management, Club credit card(s), line of credit
- Administration/Misc. – review property and liability insurance requirements and prepare annual renewal, prepare annual Risk Assessment Review
- General – Compliance with all company policies, work closely with the needs of the members, departmental managers and various club committees; general duties as assigned
- Proficiency in Jonas Club software, Microsoft Office, strong typing/data entry skills
- Several years working experience in accounting and financial reporting, strong accounting background, knowledge of ASNPO and the private club/hospitality industry
- Professionalism, strong organizational, verbal, and interpersonal communication, and problem solving/analytical skills
- Familiar with payroll laws, labor standards, and guidelines
- Ability to perform within time constraints and in meeting deadlines
- Detail oriented, productive, efficient, ability to multi-task
- Strong work ethic, ability to adhere to strict industry accounting standards and Club policies
- Ability to deal with confidential information
- Must be responsible, accountable, dependable and display a positive attitude and professional manner and appearance
- Ability to provide member satisfaction in dealing with account/membership inquiries, provide co-operation and assistance to Club Management, the Board of Directors, and various committees of the Club
- This position requires almost full-time computer work including typing and data entry. It involves sitting for long periods
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus, and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, June 10th at 5:00pm EDT. If you require any accommodations to be considered for this position please include that information in your submission. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Toronto Hunt Controller Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Toronto Hunt Controller Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview. Please email resume with references.
Lead Search Consultants:
Liz McDowell, CPA, CA, CCM
For more information on The Toronto Hunt Club, visit www.torontohunt.com.