Assistant General Manager
Biltmore Forest Country Club
From the earliest days of the Roaring Twenties, Biltmore Forest Country Club has played a significant role in the distinguished social history of Asheville and the Carolinas.
Founded in 1922, the Club is situated on 135 acres in the town of Biltmore Forest, a planned residential community in North Carolina with a culture rich history. Biltmore Forest Country Club features a pristine Donald Ross golf course, an elegant Clubhouse, fitness center, tennis facilities, pool and offers a wide variety of member activities.
The clubhouse, covering nearly 48,000 sq. ft., is the center of activities for our members. In addition to the golf shop, fitness center and separate locker rooms for men and women, members enjoy dining and socializing in the Club Room, Main Dining Room, Turn Room, Men’s Locker Room Bar, Jake’s Bar, Grill Room and Porch, Terrace and in private meeting rooms. The clubhouse also features 19 guest rooms to accommodate members and guests.
The Club is currently completing construction of a new athletic complex to include a state-of-the art fitness facility, swimming pool, poolhouse, tennis courts and tennis shop. The tennis facility will include four outdoor Har-Tru courts and one hard tennis court. The pool facility will feature a 25-yard pool and a zero-entry pool. The Pool Grill, including an outdoor bar, will offer many options for casual and poolside dining.
The Club excels in providing an incredible dining experience for members in both casual and formal settings along with special events such as wine-tasting dinners, Sunday brunch and holiday gatherings.
The Club has been recognized by Club Leader’s Forum as a Platinum Club of America®, a distinction awarded to the top 3% of private clubs. The golf course is ranked #12 in the state of North Carolina by Golf Digest.
Biltmore Forest Country Club has been chosen by the USGA as the host site of the 2025 U.S. Senior Amateur Championship. The club previously hosted the 1999 U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship and the 2013 U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur Championship.
- Members – 800
- Initiation Fee, Resident Member Golf – $60,000
- Annual Dues, Golf – $12,400
- Gross Volume – $13M
- Annual Dues – $6.1M
- F&B Volume – $3.0M
- Gross Payroll – $6.5M
- Board Members – 12
- Average Member Age – 64
The Assistant General Manager Position
The Assistant General Manager (AGM) is ultimately responsible, on a daily basis, for all clubhouse, food and beverage, aquatics, recreation and facilities operations including general housekeeping in these areas. The AGM is also responsible for all aspects of the operation in the absence of the General Manager/COO and performs specific tasks as requested.
This AGM works closely with, and reports directly to, the General Manager/COO, providing quality leadership and contributing to the positive atmosphere of the Club and associated operations. He/she will also prepare annual department budgets in concert with the GM/COO.
The AGM must enhance the club culture and is responsible for the dissemination of hospitality, friendliness and goodwill among members, guests and staff. His/her goal is always to assist members and guests in the enjoyment of the facilities and activities at the Club. In addition to building relationships, the AGM also provides support to the respective committees and advisory groups. As the public face of these operations, a hands-on approach, and understanding that full member and staff engagement is critical, is required to succeed in this position.
The AGM should anticipate and provide enhanced hospitality along with superb dining and other memorable experiences for the Club’s membership and their guests. Alignment with the Executive Chef, Event Director and Food & Beverage Managers is very important in this position to ensure collaborative, innovative, harmonious relationships between front- and back-of-house operations.
- Consistent, highly visible, sincere and significant engagement with members and staff
in the dining areas of the club is of the utmost importance. It is the ultimate responsibility of the AGM to ensure all member dining, amenities and club events are well-conceived and executed.
- Provide quality leadership in a positive and upbeat manner for the members, guests
- Create and maintain a first-class service culture throughout the club campus.
- Listen to member and guest suggestions and resolve all complaints in areas that may include general service, employee attitude, maintenance, and presentation of the clubhouse operations.
- Oversee the seasonal recruitment, hiring and development of clubhouse and food service personnel.
- Oversee ongoing training programs complete with up-to-date training manuals to ensure exceptional service in all parts of the club’s operation.
- Provide for training and future development of all subordinate managers and supervisors, subject to budget approval by the General Manager/COO. Coach, counsel, and evaluate departmental staff on a consistent and ongoing basis.
- Ensure a positive spirit and healthy work environment exists throughout all club operations, one that is free of safety risks and all forms of employee harassment.
- Maintain an effective two-way communications program with employees to ensure they are treated in a fair, structured and consistent manner.
- Function as an administrative and communication link between all departments.
- Guarantee that all clubhouse employees are regularly trained and certified in areas that help guard the safety and well-being of our members, guests and other employees including, but not limited to responsible alcohol service, safe food handling, etc.
- Help to facilitate a team environment with morale, high ethical standards and efficient use of resources to position Biltmore Forest Country Club to be a preferred employer of choice in the community.
- Work jointly with the Controller and General Manager/COO to prepare the annual operating and capital budgets for all clubhouse and service operations; assist in the management and control of operations to attain the desired results.
- Monitor the budget each week/month and direct any corrective action, as necessary,
to assure budgeted goals are attained.
- Provide input to all clubhouse and service personnel regarding annual budgets, capital spending plans, fiscal controls and operational guidelines.
- Manage all labor cost and maintain them within the constraints of the budget, and through close coordination and approval from the General Manager/COO and Controller.
- Monitor payroll records to control overtime and maintain labor costs within budgetary guidelines.
- Supervise the purchase, receipt, safekeeping and disbursement of operating supplies and equipment to maximize quality and profitability.
- Be approachable to staff, members and guests. Lead by example.
- Assist the General Manager/COO in developing and implementing long-range (strategic) and annual (business) plans, operating reports, forecasts and budgets.
- Work with Human Resources to develop long-term staffing needs for each area of responsibility.
- Hiring, discipline, terminating and preparing all related documentation for all clubhouse and service staff.
- Review all accidents and work with HR and Safety Committee to complete accident reports and implement improved procedures to prevent the situation from reoccurring.
- Attend senior management meetings and carry out directives agreed upon during the meetings along with any other requests of the General Manager/COO. All actions must be carried out in a timely manner.
- Serve as an ad-hoc member of appropriate club committees and advisory groups.
- Possess a warm personality, a sense of humor and the ability to work effectively with all levels of the internal staff and members.
- Work with the Executive Chef, Event Director, Food & Beverage Managers and others to develop P&L statements prior to each special event. Produce an event recap along with all appropriate documentation/history, keeping it on file for future use.
- Work with Executive Chef on menu development and strategy for the food and beverage operation.
- Work with the F&B team to organize and market special club events.
- Further personal continued development as a club management professional through membership in CMAA. With the assistance and approval of the General Manager/COO participate in appropriate seminars/training programs, thereby enhancing your value and quality of services to Biltmore Forest Country Club.
- Understand and abide by Biltmore Forest Country Club policies and departmental procedures. Suggest changes, and when appropriate, direct the implementation of all approved changes.
- Provide content for, and manage, communications and marketing information for departments.
- Assure Clubhouse operations and campus venues are run in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
- Disseminate information effectively and coordinate activities between departments
in a timely manner.
- Keep the General Manager/COO informed of all potential problems and activities related to the smooth operation of the clubhouse and other food service venues.
- Oversee inventory management throughout departments and complete a periodic china, glass and silver inventory to maintain par levels.
- Coordinate and approve all entertainment in consultation with General Manager/COO and others.
- Possess a sharp eye for detail in the overall management and presentation of the operation and the facility.
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club or hospitality environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business preferred.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) or in active pursuit of designation preferred.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent compensation and benefit package.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, January 20, 2023.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Biltmore AGM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Biltmore AGM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com. Please e-mail resume with references.
All requested information, along with references, should be emailed to the address above.
For more information about Biltmore Forest Country club, please visit www.biltmoreforestcc.com