Alpine Ski Club
Town of Blue Mountains, Ontario
About the Club
Founded in 1960, Alpine (“the Club”) is as an award-winning private club with a modern, expansive clubhouse and excellent programs supporting all ages and disciplines. Alpine is well known for its warm and friendly atmosphere with some of the best skiing and boarding terrain in Ontario.
The Club offers:
- Thirty-six expertly groomed runs ranging from easy (green) to a cluster of five expert (double black diamond) runs known as The Steeps
- Five lifts to ensure that lines range from minimal to non-existent (one high speed sixpack chairlift, three quad chairlifts, one magic carpet)
- An extensive terrain park with features for skill development
- Broad selection of on-hill (skiing and boarding) program options (recreational and competitive) for children and adults
- World-class snowmaking to maximize days enjoying the extensive terrain
- State of the art grooming, including a GPS system to measure snow depth to ensure consistent coverage
- Kilometres of marked snowshoe and cross-country ski trails and an outdoor skating rink
- An on-site pro shop operated by Squire John’s offers equipment rentals, tuning services, and light retail shopping
- A 45,000 square foot clubhouse offering superb food and drink, with views of the Escarpment on one side and Georgian Bay on the other
- Full food & beverage service run by celebrated in-house caterer Men with Knives
- A safe and fun-filled children’s playroom for infants and toddlers (Little Kids’ Club)
Facts and Figures
- Initiation fee: $43,000
- Employees: 346 (18 full-time, 85 seasonal full-time, 243 seasonal part-time)
- Annual Revenue: $5M
For more information on Alpine Ski Club, visit www.alpineskiclub.com.
About the General Manager Role
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager is responsible for the overall operations, fiscal integrity, leadership, and strategic planning for the Club. The GM is a strong, energetic leader who is customer service-focused and has experience working at a private club. Alpine has just completed a strategic planning process and expects to launch a series of infrastructure projects over the coming years. The successful candidate will have interest in taking on new challenges while ensuring the smooth operations of the club year-round.
The successful candidate will:
- Oversee the complete operation of the Club
- Work closely with the Board:
- Participate in the vision and strategic planning efforts
- Attend board meetings, as required
- Establish annual priorities and business metrics, and provide monthly reporting
- Establish strong relationships with staff, members, and other GMs across the ridge
- Lead, coach and motivate the management team and staff
- Successfully execute the strategic plan initiatives
- Maintain familiarity, knowledge and compliance of all Club by-laws, health and safety legislation, insurance, T.S.S.A Regulations, Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, etc. and assure standards are met.
- Possess a strong customer service orientation
- Ensure the success of all aspects of member/guest satisfaction, engagement, and safety
Alpine Program Manager (also retiring in April 2023), Operations Manager, Marketing & Communications, Membership Administrator, Office Administrator, Accounting, and Men With Knives catering partner.
The General Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and implement industry-leading operating policies, programs, procedures, and methods while directing the work and promoting the development of all department managers
- Monitor long and short-term financial objectives and reporting
- Prepare and execute the financial plan for the Club, including:
- Develop annual operating, cash, and capital budgets
- Monitor monthly budget and other financial information
- Initiate effective corrective action, as required
- Approve invoices and other arrangements before inception or payment
- Prepare and deliver timely financial reports to the Board
- Remain current with industry trends and ensure the Club implements improvements, as required
- Champion the development of the Club’s strategic and annual tactical plans, consistent with its long-term strategic direction
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club, including health and safety protocols and processes
- Champion management philosophy that exemplifies the Club’s core values in making a healthy impact on the lives of members and the community. Alpine’s values include:
- Embrace friends and family;
- Where diversity and inclusion are the norm;
- Our community is one, with down to earth values;
- Aim to provide the best experience for all, with safety at our forefront;
- And Members, Guests and Staff respect one another.
- Develop and monitor basic human resource policies consistent with treating employees fairly and in compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Support direct reports by developing, defining, and managing goals and objectives, providing consistent feedback toward continuous improvement, and promoting personal development
The ideal candidate is a proven collaborator and relationship builder who possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- A dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example
- Possess the ability to provide direction and expectations, performance feedback and recognition that inspires employees to enhance member experiences and achieve positive outcomes
- Embodies the characteristics of a successful GM through honesty, integrity, ethical conduct straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, and dedication
- A self-starter with a results-oriented work style combined with excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrates energy and a desire to interact with members
- A confident, diplomatic, and competent “hands-on” professional who recognizes the importance of accountability
- Strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member approach while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit combined with a background in business management, including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management
- An innovative and strategic thinker with strong business acumen
- Experience managing complex capital projects
- Promotes succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles
Qualifications and Experience
- A University or College Degree/Diploma in Hospitality Management, Business Management, Ski Resort Management, or a related field
- 10+ years’ experience as a senior leader at a ski club or other similar top-tier facility, with a passion and understanding of a premium club experience
- Experience in skiing or snowboarding is beneficial
- Experience reporting to a Board with a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and GM to success
Salary and Benefits
The successful applicant will receive an attractive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications, along with a comprehensive health benefits plan.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by November 8, 2022, at 5:00pm EDT.
Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Alpine GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Alpine GM Resume”) respectively to email@example.com.
Alpine Ski Club is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities throughout the recruitment process and, upon request, will work with qualified job applicants to provide suitable accommodation in a manner which considers applicants’ accessibility needs due to disability.
Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Requests for reasonable accommodation based on disability or religion will be considered on an individual basis.
Alpine Ski Club is an equal opportunity employer. It is the organization’s policy to recruit and select applicants for employment solely based on their qualifications, with emphasis on selecting the best qualified person for the job. Applicants must have a valid Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN) card. We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultant:
Managing Director & Partner