The Winston Golf Club
The Winston Golf Club
Having celebrated its 100th anniversary as a club in 2023, The Winston Golf Club in Calgary, AB enters its second century on the precipice of transformational change and wants a dynamic General Manager to help shape and lead that initiative. Led by an engaged Board of Directors, The Winston is looking for a strategic and operational leader who can influence the Club’s internal and external culture while greatly increasing the Club’s shareholder members and potentially executing a near term $10MM+ clubhouse construction project. As the closest golf course to downtown Calgary and already home to an outstanding 18-hole layout with a highly motivated and committed membership base, this semi-private club position will appeal to a diverse range of Club Management professionals with a unique opportunity to affect change quickly.
About the Club
Members: 500 (210 Shareholders, 45 Spousal, 40 Annual, 110 Young Professional, 95 Junior)
Initiation Fee: $8,000
Annual Dues: $4,888
Gross Volume: $5 Million
F&B Volume: $1.5 Million
Average Shareholder Age: 55 Years Old
- 18 Hole Golf Course
- Driving Range & Practice Area
- Three Golf Simulators (Nov – Mar)
- Full Service Pro Shop
- Full Service Restaurant
- Two Banquet Rooms
- Two Board Rooms
- Snack Shack
General Manager Position Summary
The General Manager of the Club (“GM”) is the leader of The Winston’s management team and is responsible for managing all facets of the Club’s operations. The GM manages the affairs, and directs the employees of the Club subject to and in accordance with the direction of the Board of Directors (the “Board”) acting through the President, who shall exercise supervisory authority over the GM. The GM shall attend all meetings of the Board and shall be an ex-officio member (i.e., non-voting member) of all Board committees.
Skills, Experience and Attributes of the New GM
- Development and delivery of a consistently excellent member experience commensurate with specified member expectations.
- Coordinates and administers the Club’s policies as defined by the Board and the Articles of Association of the Club.
- Develops best-in-class and industry leading operating policies, programs, procedures and methods and directs the work and promotes the development of all department managers.
- Apprises the Board of industry and competitive trends, and assists the Board in the strategic planning process guiding the future direction of the Club.
- Establishes personnel policies, initiates and monitors policies relating to personnel actions and training and professional development programs.
- Performs annual performance and remuneration reviews of all department managers and recommends any changes to the Board.
- Monitors long and short-term financial objectives and reports and, in consultation with the Board, Finance Committee and Manager of Accounting, prepares the financial plan for the Club.
- Coordinates the development of the Club’s long-range and annual strategic plans consistent with the Club’s short and long-term strategic direction.
- Attends conferences, workshops and meetings to keep abreast of current information and developments in the industry, and brings to The Winston leading edge best practices to implement.
- Develops, maintains and administers a sound organizational plan and initiates improvements as necessary.
- Coordinates development of operating, cash, and capital budgets according to the applicable budget calendars; monitors monthly budget and other financial information; initiates effective corrective action as required; approves invoices and other arrangements before inception or payment; prepares and makes financial reports to the Board.
- Is authorized to incur expenses and capital expenditures in accordance with approved budgets or as otherwise directed by the Board.
- Develops ongoing dialogue and rapport with members through recognition, communication, and follow through, and is present at all major Club functions.
- Provides advice and recommendations to the President and committees about construction, alterations, maintenance, materials, supplies, equipment, and services not provided in approved plans or budgets.
- Provides reports of the work and affairs of the Club to the President and to the Board and committees as requested.
- Coordinates the marketing and member relations program to promote the Club’s services and facilities to present to potential members.
- Convenes and presides over meetings with department managers and conducts regular full staff meetings.
- Properly manages all aspects of the Club’s activities to ensure and maintain the highest standards and quality of products and services provided by the Club and to ensure a high level of member satisfaction.
- Maintains relations with police, fire, liquor control board, health department and other governmental agencies. Ensures that the Club is operated in accordance with all applicable local, provincial and federal laws.
- Performs competitive analyses on clubs and other businesses providing member alternatives through personal observations and historical reports.
- Oversees risk management programs to ensure that adequate safety measures are in place to protect members, employees, guests and club assets.
- Maintains relations with local, provincial and national associations that promote the games of golf.
- Oversees the care and maintenance of the Club’s physical assets and facilities.
- Establishes and monitors compliance with purchasing policies and procedures.
- Reviews and initiates programs to provide members with a variety of popular events.
- Participates in outside activities that are judged as appropriate and approved by the Board to enhance the prestige of the Club; broadens the scope of the Club’s operation by fulfilling the public obligations of the Club as a participating member of the community.
- Serves as a liaison between all management staff and the Board.
- Writes policy and rule directives or approves those written by department managers.
- Has ultimate authority over inter-departmental matters and implements policies concerning employee-employer relations.
- Develops, maintains, and disseminates a basic management philosophy to guide all Club personnel toward optimal operating results, employee morale and member satisfaction.
- Provides appropriate leadership and mentorship to direct reports and mid-level management.
- Negotiates and recommends Board approval for contracts.
- Directs purchasing, receiving, storage, issuing, preparation and control of all products, supplies and equipment.
- Gives direction to and works closely with vendors, outside contractors, firms and individuals providing services to the Club.
- Directs the writing and publishing of Club newsletters and communications with the Members.
- Performs other duties and functions as the Board may direct from time to time.
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club or hospitality environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business preferred.
- A background check will be required.
- Disciplined follow through to ensure the vision and goals of the Club come to fruition.
- Ability to cultivate a high level of member services and satisfaction.
- A strong understanding of top notch operations and events that lead to an elevated experience for members and guests.
- Industry knowledge and creativity to elevate the food & beverage experiences.
- Highly focused and passionate about creating an environment of healthy Retention and being the employer of choice for Recruitment.
- Effective fiscal management through delivery of actual operational and capital results in alignment with approved budgets.
- Experience with significant facility renovations or construction would be an asset.
- Head Golf Professional
- Turf Care Superintendent
- Manager, Hospitality & Catering
- Executive Chef
- Manager, Accounting & Information Systems
- Manager, Administration & Member Services
- Manager, Building Maintenance
Measures of Performance:
- Membership satisfaction according to membership survey data, golf and social activity levels and support of the Club’s Food and Beverage program.
- Increase in number of shareholders and conversion of annual members to owners.
- Organizational financial performance against agreed upon goals, monitoring metrics and industry benchmarks.
- Development of department managers and employees and other Club personnel, including leadership skills, team building, employee motivation and service training.
- Promptness, quality of information, forecasts and creative consultative services to the club and its officers, to the Board of Directors and the Committees.
- Club’s general standing in the community.
- Compliance with known regulations of government agencies.
- Protection of Club assets.
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment with the position by November 30th, 2023.
Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, The Winston GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, The Winston GM Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultants:
Managing Director & Partner
For more information on The Winston Golf Club, visit https://thewinstongolfclub.com/