Devil’s Glen Country Club
Located just 90 minutes from downtown Toronto, Devil’s Glen Country Club (“the Club”) provides an exceptional experience for members and their families. The Club has 24 ski trails and four chairlifts along with 20km of cross-country trails.
The Club is proud of its traditions, dating back to 1964 when the Beehive Race down Waterfall helped launch the Club. The Glen’s racing program, which is rooted deep in the Club’s culture and purpose, along with snow programs and a state-of-the-art terrain park, provides a family-focused environment where all athletes are encouraged to grow and develop from their experience.
With close to 750 senior members and just over 1,900 active skiers, the Club provides an exceptional on-hill experience within an intimate club community.
The General Manager (“GM”) is responsible to continue to build the Club’s standard for excellence and provide strategic direction while embracing opportunities for new initiatives. The General Manager will work with a volunteer member Board of Directors, ensuring that “important things get done”, including an industry-leading on- and off-hill “Devil’s Glen Experience” and the cost-effective management and development of the organization’s current and future assets.
- Assistant General Manager – Operations
- Financial Controller and Chief Administrative Office
- Manager Marketing and Membership
The GM will be responsible for the following:
- Oversee the complete operation of the Club in accordance with the direction established by the Board and the Strategic Plan.
- Build and maintain relationships with staff, members, local government leaders, leaders of other private ski clubs, etc.
- Lead, coach, direct and mentor the management team which will include performance management.
- Provide effective leadership at the Club and within the community.
- Ensure a strong presence and seeks to be highly visible to membership and staff.
- Support a strong and engaged Board of Directors to execute all policies and decisions.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board, providing, in a timely and accurate manner, information necessary for the Board’s fiduciary and oversight responsibilities (e.g., monthly reporting).
- Work with the Board and its Committees and serve as a liaison between the Board, staff and membership.
- Create and ensure success of the Club’s vision and direction.
- Create, communicate, and lead the strategic planning efforts and implementation of the Club’s strategy.
- Prepare budgets associated with outdoor and indoor operations and carry the overall responsibility for working within these budgets.
- Formulating and overseeing long-term capital budgeting and plans.
- Maintain familiarity, knowledge and compliance of all Club by-laws, health and safety legislation, insurance, T.S.S.A Regulations, Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, etc. and assure standards are met.
- Develop and maintain the Club’s capability to oversee the project management of significant capital projects.
- Oversee the development and execution of infrastructure plans in accordance with Board-approved area master plans and capital budgets.
- Ensure the success of all aspects of member/guest satisfaction, engagement and safety.
- Assist with the membership sales process to promote the Club and member experience to prospective members.
- Set annual staff goals, carry out periodic performance planning reviews with staff and conduct annual appraisals against pre-agreed goals and objectives.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club environment or related field.
- A University or College Degree/Diploma in Hospitality Management, Business Management, Ski Resort Management or a related field.
- Exceptional leadership skills with proven success at leading teams.
- Exceptional relationship management skills with the ability to build, grow and cultivate new and existing relationships.
- Experience partnering with a Board of Directors.
- Experience skiing or snowboarding would be an asset.
- An experienced visionary and transformational leader who can lead, coach and motivate staff.
- Strong team player with an orientation to take initiative. Flexible, adaptive and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities. Ability to successfully handle multiple complex priorities concurrently.
- Ability to work in an environment where unanticipated changes in demands often necessitate a change in priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality, professionalism and diplomacy.
- Ability to organize and manage projects, adapting as needed to changing priorities and deadlines, emerging issues, impacts of decisions, competing and conflicting demands, and to keep staff, colleagues and the Board informed as required.
- Strong judgment, interpersonal, problem solving and influencing skills.
- Strong conflict resolution skills and knows when to use the appropriate skill.
- Possess excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Club’s core values.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by April 2, 2023. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Devil’s Glen Resume” and “Last Name, First Name, Devil’s Glen Cover Letter”) respectively to: email@example.com.
Lead Search Consultant:
Managing Director & Partner
For more information on Devil’s Glen Country Club: https://www.devilsglen.com/Home.