General Manager / Chief Operating Officer
The Lambton Golf and Country Club
The Lambton Golf and Country Club
The Lambton Golf and Country Club (“Lambton” or the “Club”) is a private, member-owned club which was founded in 1902, and is considered one of the premier Golf and Country Clubs in Canada. Lambton is a year-round club with golf running from April through November, both summer and winter tennis and an extensive year-round social, dining and events calendar. Rooted in a storied and rich tradition, Lambton has become one of the fastest growing progressive, family oriented private country clubs in the greater Toronto area. Geographically, it is one of the closest golf and country clubs in proximity to downtown Toronto. Our membership, which is remarkably diverse and, in many cases, multi-generational, enjoys Lambton as a “home away from home,” consisting of warm and caring friendships that last a lifetime. These relationships are the hallmark of our wonderful Club.
Lambton is home to an 18-hole Championship Golf Course, a 9-hole par 31 Valley Course and full golf practice facilities. Both courses were completely redesigned in 2010 by Rees Jones, one of the world’s premier golf course architects with a particular recognition as a US Open site designer. Lambton has a beautifully designed clubhouse that was completed in 2000, and which has undergone consistent improvements since to accommodate a growing membership. The Club also has 5 Har-Tru tennis courts which were also completed in 2010. Part of a strategic facility plan, the Club is embarking on a new fitness center in February 2024 and the membership has approved a multi-million-dollar renovation to the kitchen and outdoor patio.
The success of the Club’s membership attraction program over the last several years along with sound fiscal management have permitted the Club to completely rejuvenate its principal assets over the last 20 years while maintaining a strong and flexible financial position. Strategically, the Club is well positioned for its next phase of growth.
Lambton has a very full and active membership which embraces the exciting and fun-filled menu of golf, tennis, dining, live entertainment, and a diverse social calendar of events including Member-Member and Member-Guest Tournaments, couples golf, tennis ladders and seasonal parties for the enjoyment of its members, their families, and their guests.
Age of Club: 121 Years
Entrance fee: $67,500
Annual dues: $8,090 (Gold Golf)
Total Number of Members: 1,799
Total employees: 149
Mission, Vision, and Values
Mission: Lambton Golf and Country Club is an all-season private member-owned Club. The Club provides premier facilities for the exclusive use of members and their guests to enjoy golf, tennis, dining and other social activities. The Club also provides event services and facilities to members and approved outside organizations for functions such as private parties, meetings and weddings. Members and guests enjoy attentive professional service from well-trained staff.
Vision: Being part of Lambton Golf and Country Club is to be a part of a community, a home away from home for family and friends. The Club’s primary focus is providing an exceptional golf experience from arrival through to post-golf relaxation. The Club provides an enjoyable golf experience with as much challenge as a member might desire in that golf game experience.
At Lambton Golf and Country Club, we highly value the comfortable community environment shared by members and the staff. The Club provides facilities and services in an exclusive environment that members expect from a premier club. The Club strives to foster a climate of openness and friendliness. Players and families of all abilities enjoy the Club equally.
The Club has a history of strong governance and fiscal prudence, led by the Board of Governors. Material decisions are made by the Board upon recommendations from standing and ad hoc committees which are supported by management.
The General Manager/Chief Operating Officer (“GM/COO”) is the leader of Lambton’s management team and is responsible for managing all facets of the Club’s operations. The GM/COO manages the affairs and directs the employees of the Club subject to and in accordance with the direction of the Board of Governors (the “Board”) acting through the President, who exercises supervisory authority over the GM/COO. The GM/COO attends all meetings of the Board and is an ex-officio member (i.e., non-voting member of) all Board committees. The incumbent GM is retiring.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Developing and delivering a consistently excellent member experience commensurate with specified member expectations and in keeping with a premier Tier 1 private golf and country club.
- Effectively managing all aspects of the Club’s activities to ensure and maintain the highest standards and quality of activities and services provided by the Club and to ensure an elevated level of member satisfaction.
- Developing and implementing best-in-class and industry leading operating policies, programs, procedures, and methods and directing the work and promoting the development of all department managers.
- Monitoring long and short-term financial objectives and reporting and, in consultation with the Board, Finance Committee and Director of Finance and Administration, preparing and executing the financial plan for the Club, as follows: (i) develops annual operating, cash, and capital budgets; (ii) monitoring monthly budget and other financial information; (iii) initiating effective corrective action as required; (iv) approving invoices and other arrangements before inception or payment; and (v) preparing and making financial reports to the B
- Establishing personnel policies, initiating, and monitoring policies relating to personnel actions, setting and monitoring achievement against annual objectives for senior managers, and overseeing training and professional development programs. Acting as a mentor to Direct Reports.
- Coordinating the development of the Club’s long-range strategic and annual tactical plans consistent with the Club’s long-term strategic direction. Managing complex capital projects to the highest level of quality on time and on budget.
- Overseeing successful execution of strategic capital initiatives.
- Welcoming new club members, and “meeting and greeting” all club members as practical during their visits to the Club. Coordinating the marketing and member relations program to promote the Club’s services and facilities to present to potential members. Developing ongoing dialogue and rapport with members and being present at all major Club functions.
- Incorporating succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- Ensuring compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club.
The GM/COO reports to the Board of Governors acting through the President. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic and business objectives of Lambton, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Leadership Skills:
- A dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example. Candidate possesses the ability to provide direction and expectations, performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes to enhance Member experiences through inspiring department managers and employees. Exhibits leadership skills in team building, employee motivation and service training and is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Standard of Care:
- Thorough understanding of and capacity to consistently deliver exceptional standards of service commensurate with a Tier 1 golf and country club.
- Ability to set and maintain ambitious standards for all facilities, services, and communications.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds; embodies the characteristics of a successful GM/COO through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, and dedication.
- A self-starter with a results-oriented work style combined with excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated with all the Club’s stakeholders.
- Demonstrates energy and a desire to interact with the membership.
- A confident, diplomatic, and competent professional who is a “doer” and a take charge person who recognizes the importance of accountability.
- Strong professional with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member approach.
- Business/Finance Skills:
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management.
- A strategic thinker with strong business acumen.
- Experience managing complex capital projects.
- Direct experience with golf, tennis and food and beverage businesses.
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline is preferred.
- Experience and Accreditation:
- Previous hospitality industry experience as a senior leader at a private golf and country club or other similar top tier golf facility, with a passion and understanding of what it means to have a premium country club experience.
- Experience reporting to a Board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and GM/COO to success.
- A Certified Club Manager designation (CCM) is preferred.
The successful applicant will receive an attractive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications along with a comprehensive health benefits plan and pension program.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment with the position by December 6, 2023.
Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Lambton CEO Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Lambton CEO Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultants:
Managing Director & Partner
Dee Anna Clarke
For more information on Lambton, visit https://www.lambtongolf.com/Home.aspx